Skulduggery Pleasant, Book 1, by Derek Landy

I always picked this book up when I saw it at the Warehouse…. however never read it until it was sold to at the Reading at the Beach programme, National Library 2008/2009. Well, what can I say about Skulduggery…personally he’s the ideal guy! Charming, reliable, dependable and he drives a five cylinder, 4.5 litre 1954 Bentley. The only problem being he’s skinless! Now, on a more serious front. I read the first three chapters to my Year 5/6 class. Talk about having them on the edge of their seats. There’s a scene where Stephanie is in the house she’s inherited from her uncle Gordon, she gets a phone call from this mysterious man. Stephanie eventually hangs up on him and before you know if he’s pounding at the door. He actually smashes the window and breaks in. If you really get into reading this story make sure you add a sly, spooky voice here. I think my children actually stopped blinking! Of course Skulduggery saves the day! This is a story with a nice twist of magic, action, adventure, and humour good and evil. It’s a race to see who can get their hands on the Scepter. I’ll say no more…. read it. Suitable for Year 5/6 boys and girls. Elizabeth


http://www.skulduggerypleasant.com

No comments:

Post a Comment